Charges against Jussie Smollett have been dropped. Illinois State prosecutor dropped all the charges even after the police said investigators had enough evidence to convict the Empire Actor.
On Tuesday, the prosecutor announced that they would drop all charges concerning Smollett’s allegations that he was a victim of hate crime in January. He said he does not believe the movie star is innocent but claimed he dropped the case because the actor has no criminal background.
First Assistant Joe Magats said he thought Smollett s guilty but that “based on the facts and circumstances” of the case and “based on his lack of criminal background’ the decision was made.
According to the actor, he reported to the police that two men attacked him yelling racial and homophobic epithets. Later he was charged with 16 felony counts after Chicago Police investigations implied that Smollett had falsified reports about the attack. He was facing 48 years in prison for allegedly lying to the police regarding the attack.
The decision to set free Smollett angered the Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. In a press conference, he said he believed the investigations against him had been conducted fairly. Emanuel called the dropped charges “a whitewash of justice.” The mayor and Chicago PD Superintendent Eddie T. Johnson further claimed that the prosecutor had brokered a deal in secrecy with Smollett, claims he refuted.
The actor denied ever making a deal with the prosecutor to set him free. He thanked the State of Illinois for trying to do the right thing and thanked “my family, friends, the incredible people of Chicago, and all over the country and the world who have prayed for me, who have supported me, who have shown me so much love.